One of the most common problems that Outlook users encounter is the Outlook send/receive error. As the name suggests, the problem makes it difficult for you to send and receive emails. It, in turn, can hamper your usual workflow. But there’s no need to worry anymore, as the error can easily be fixed.
This article will provide you with some of the finest fixes to troubleshoot this Outlook error successfully.
Troubleshoot Outlook Send Receive Error
There are various simple fixes available for this problem. Read on to learn how to implement them.
Examine malicious emails
Go through your inbox and see if any emails seem suspicious. If you notice any such messages, clear them from the inbox at the earliest. Sometimes, these spammy emails can result in this specific error.
You can detect these emails if you notice the following:
- Misspelled domain name
- Email coming from a public domain
- A malicious attachment
- Email having incorrect wording
If you still find the problem after deleting emails, move to the next fix.
Increase the server timeout duration
A low server timeout duration prevents you from sending emails of large sizes. As a result, Outlook will not send emails. They will be stuck in the outbox. So, change this duration using these points.
- Tap on ‘File’ in Outlook.
- Navigate to ‘Account Settings.’
- Click the same option followed by ‘Change’ and ‘More settings.’
- Tap ‘Advanced.’
- Head to the ‘Server Timeouts’ section.
- Increase the duration as per your needs.
Fix wrongly configured email settings
You will notice Outlook stuck on send receive if its settings are incorrect. Use these points to rectify Outlook email configuration.
- Open Outlook.
- Tap on ‘File’ followed by ‘Account Settings.’
- Click ‘Account Settings’ again, and under its window, tap ‘Change.’
- Click ‘More settings.’
- Select ‘Outgoing server.’
- Place a checkmark beside ‘My Outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication’ and ‘Log onto incoming server before sending mail.’
- Relaunch Outlook and try sending emails.
Delete All Sent Emails
Are there many emails in your Outlook mail’s ‘Sent’ box? They might be causing Outlook send receive error. It’s because too many stored emails cause the emails you are sending to get stuck in the outbox. It is especially true for emails with huge attachments.
To clean sent emails, just tap the ‘Send Receive’ tab in Outlook. Select the option to ‘Work Offline.’ Select every email in the outbox, and transfer them to another folder.
Use the safe mode to open Outlook
The built-in safe mode does not have as many functionalities. So, if this Outlook error is due to any add-in or extension, opening it in Safe mode can help. It is because the safe way does not have any such browser extension.
Open Outlook by accessing the ‘Run’ box and entering ‘outlook.exe/safe’ in it. Tap ‘OK’ to use Outlook in Safe mode.
Use the Outlook PST Recovery tool
If the Outlook PST file is damaged, you will face many issues. Outlook will not send emails because of it. So, repairing this file is a good solution to use.
- Firstly, download the Outlook PST Recovery tool.
- Install it using the on-screen instructions and run it.
- Tap the ‘Open’ button and browse the .PST file.
- Choose the PST file and open it.
- Select a specific recovery option according to the extent of file corruption.
- Click ‘OK.’
- The utility will review the problematic PST file and display the recovered folders.
- You can restore the folders you need by tapping ‘Save.’
- After that, click ‘OK.’
- You will now not face any issues in sending and receiving emails.
Update a changed password in Outlook
Sometimes, you may change your account password but forget to update it in Outlook. It can also make Outlook stuck on send receive.
- Select ‘File’ in Outlook.
- Go to ‘Account Settings’ and choose this option again.
- Navigate to the ‘Email’ tab.
- Find your account and select ‘Change.’
- Update the new password in its box and choose ‘Next.’
- Select ‘Close’ followed by ‘Finish.’
The Bottom Line
Now, you don’t need to worry about being unable to access and send important emails. These fixes for the Outlook send receive error are safe and effective. You can also consult an email technical expert if you need further help troubleshooting this or any other Outlook issue.